Young Cancer Survivors' Scholarship Program Application
Young Cancer Survivors' Scholarship Program
530 Maryville Centre Dr. LL5
St. Louis, MO 63141
(314) 275-7440 Fax (314) 275-7446
Thank you for your interest in the Young Cancer Survivors' Scholarship Program. The instructions are laid out below, as well as the links to print out your official application. Please fill out everything fully and completely, and gather any additional required elements to send in with your applications. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please contact our office for more information at 314-275-7440.
2012 - 2013 Academic Year
Friends of Kids With Cancer, Inc. is pleased to offer a Young Cancer Survivors' Scholarship Program. Five scholarships worth $1,000 ($500 per semester based on satisfactory completion of second semester) are available. Scholarships are paid directly to the accredited institution. Decisions as to which applicants receive the scholarship would be made by a majority of the members of the Review Committee. All decisions made by the Friends of Kids With Cancer shall be made in their sole discretion and all decisions of the Friends of Kids with Cancer are final.
To be eligible for a Friends of Kids With Cancer scholarship, one must:
- Have had a diagnosis of cancer before the age of 19 and/or treated for a pediatric form of cancer.
- Be a legal resident of Missouri or Illinois, sought treatment for cancer in the St. Louis Metropolitan area, and received special assistance or benefits from Friends of Kids With Cancer when diagnosed.
- Be a high school senior, or not out of high school more than 4 years, or if already in college, have a GPA of at least 2.0 (based on a 4.0 scale).
- Be accepted to an accredited university, graduate school, community college, vocational technical school or other accredited facility.
- Be sure to include all documents listed below, together in one envelope (please write your name on each document you submit):
Completed application form.
Two recommendations; one from a physician (on his/her letterhead) verifying diagnosis and one from an adult age 21 or older who is not a relative.
An acceptance letter from a scholastic institution on letterhead.
An official transcript of academic records from high school or college, whichever is applicable. Some institutions require the transcript be mailed directly to our office; please indicate if that is applicable in your case.
A one page essay describing your life experiences, your future goals, and the reasons why you need this scholarship grant.
While our scholarship is not need-based, needs will be considered. A review committee of Friends of Kids With Cancer volunteers will evaluate each new application based upon the essay/goal statement, academic achievement, and community service. This committee will convene in July to decide the new awardees for the 2012 - 2013 academic year.
The scholarship is intended to be offered on an annual basis but the Friends of Kids With Cancer reserves the right at any time for any reason to refrain from offering the scholarship in a particular year. For the 2012-2013 school year, applications will be accepted until June 15, 2012. Information regarding the scholarship will be placed on the Friends of Kids with Cancer website, www.friendsofkids.com. Questions regarding the scholarship can be directed to Judy at (314) 275-7440.
Friends of Kids with Cancer | 530 Maryville Centre Dr. Suite LL5 | Saint Louis, Missouri 63141
Phone: (314) 275-7440 | Fax: (314) 275-7446 | Privacy